I was standing in line at the grocery store the other day, doing what we all do. I was looking around at the stuff to buy on impulse. It’s usually junk you don’t need.
Tabloids and gossip magazines with their titillating headlines. Usually filled with information about people and things I don’t know about or don’t care about. I don’t watch American Idol or Dancing with the Stars or The Hills. I’m not interested in the latest young starlet’s bi-curious experimentation or the unflattering beach photo of the star who has cellulite or a beer gut.
I don’t care if Brad is moving out or not.
And the Octo-mom is waaaaay scary! Enough of her already!!
The women’s magazines have articles about men written by … women. Huh? Umm, shouldn’t those articles be written by … oh, I don’t know … MEN? “100 Ways to Please Your Man” written by … some lady. First off, that list ain’t THAT long y’all.
But I digress.
One of those tabloids was an astrology booklet. It said something about using the stars to be happy and lucky. Oh??? The stars, eh? OK. If that’s something you follow, good on ya!
But the mention of luck reminded me of an article I wrote about increasing your luck. Some people “seem” to be luckier than others. And most of the time, there’s a pretty good explanation for someone’s luck. A few weeks ago I wrote in a newsletter: “Luck favors the prepared.”
Let me give you a few ways to increase your luck. I gave this to you a few years ago and Matt Green reminded me of it a few weeks ago while we were running. Here it is again, Matt. Thanks for reminding me of it.
Ten Ways to Increase Your Luck
1. Pay attention to your surroundings. You won’t spot the $20 bill on the sidewalk unless you’re looking. Be alert! Look around! Keep your eyes and ears open!
2. Strike up conversations with strangers. (Ladies, you probably need to be a LITTLE cautious here.) You never know who you’ll meet, the contacts you’ll establish, or the new friends you’ll make. This is one of my favorite things to do! I made some new friends this weekend in Louisville by doing this!
3. Stay relaxed, especially in pressure situations. People who are sad, depressed, or tense tend to have tunnel vision.
4. Vary your daily routine. I know a woman who believes God is going to give her a husband. She’s been waiting for over 20 years. She goes to work, comes home, and goes to church. Her routine never varies. I guess she’s going to marry the FedEx guy. I don’t think she’s met anyone new in years.
5. Be aggressive and decisive about making the changes you want in your life. I’ve learned a little about sailing. A sailboat isn’t maneuverable unless it’s moving. It needs wind in its sails. When it’s dead in the water, it’s impossible to steer. MOVE! Nike said, “Just Do It” And Shakespeare said, “The bow is drawn, make straight the arrow.”
6. Follow your hunches and gut feelings. Pay attention when something doesn’t feel quite right. I’m not talking about daily paranoia or constant suspicion of everything around you. But listen when the universe talks to you.
7. Expect good things. If you think something good is going to happen you’ll be more likely to spot it when it does. And associated with this is giving people the benefit of the doubt. Miserable people assume the worst and usually get it.
8. Smile. Not only does this inspire others to smile back, but it is the easiest and fastest thing you can do to make yourself look more attractive and accessible … unless you’re missing a lot of teeth. Then you should contact my friend, and sometimes Boot Camper, Dr. John Whittemore, DDS. This morning I had the 0530 class smile at the end of the workout. Some of those smiles were pretty scary! And the best I got from one of you was a sneer. Ask me if I had some fun at her expense!
9. Outlast bad luck and look for opportunities. Often a negative turn of events creates unexpected opportunities for good things. I started USMC Fitness BOOT CAMP because I was strapped for money ten years ago and needed to supplement my teacher’s salary to make ends meet. Now look at the EMPIRE that has grown from me being broke!
10. Be positive, grateful, and thankful. Ever notice how people who exhibit those things seem to be happy … seem to be so lucky? Putting positive energy out there into the world comes back to you! As one of you told me recently, “Tony, when people whine and complain they just become big ‘crap magnets’” Well said Lisa! The opposite is true too!
I hope all y’all get lucky today!
0645 CLASS CALLED TO DUTY!
The masses have compelled me reactivate the 0645 class on Monday, May 4!
This is a Monday, Wednesday, Friday class and will follow the same routine as the 0830 class!
So all of you 0645 Boot Campers, dust off your dumbbells and clean the spider webs off your rolled up exercise mat gathering dust in your garage!
USMC FITNESS BOOT CAMP RUNNERS!!
In the past couple of weeks you guys have been running all over the place!
We’ve had runners in Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Louisville, and Nashville!
Many of these ran their very first half marathon!! How awesome is that. Most of the following were members of my half marathon training platoon that started training at the end of January!
Congratulations to all of you guys!
Nashville Runners (half marathon, unless otherwise noted)
Courtney Humphreys — Full Marathon!
Scott Irwin — Full Marathon!
St. Louis Runners
Oklahoma City Runner
THESE ECONOMIC TIMES
I try to promote and patronize Boot Campers in their businesses. I am also a member of a business networking group (BNI – Business Networking International) that meets weekly to promote one another’s businesses.
Starting this week I’ll include folks looking for a new job or career change. Only current Boot Campers in good standing will be listed.
If you’re not a business owner, or you work on commission, and would like to be mentioned here, send me your info!
Today’s Big Three are:
1. Calvit Ratcliffe (BNI, Boot Camper) Farmers Insurance Group: All lines of insurance, personal and commercial: Auto, Home, Life, Health, Disability, Business, and Workers’ Compensation. 901-761-6083, phone. email@example.com email.
2. Katherine Aden-Vermilye (Boot Camper — Job Seeker!)
“I like office work, but I’m pretty open. I’ve worked in a law firm – recently as a fill in for answering phones and then a little paralegal work. In the past I’ve worked at Starbucks and a law firm as a filing clerk and then promoted to head of billing.” firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Rob McGregor (BNI) — Mr. McGregor’s Garden — Full service landscape and lawn maintenance. Residential and Commercial. Free Estimates! 901-428-6401.
BOOT CAMPER TO BE HOMELESS
One of our Boot Camp ladies is looking for a new place to live ASAP! She’s looking to rent in the east Memphis area. She doesn’t need a big place, it’s just her. She has no pets and she doesn’t smoke. She’s sweet, adorable, and pays her bills. She even pays ME on time! If you know of a house or an apartment that might work, let me know! Time is of the essence! Thank you!
“I know what you’re thinking. ‘Did he fire six shots or only five?’ Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?”
Dirty Harry says, “Get lucky!”
To your continued good health and fitness,
Sergeant Major Tony Ludlow
USMC Fitness BOOT CAMP, Commanding
4888 Southern Ave
Memphis, TN 38117